Moving to Victoria: How to Prepare for an Interstate Move
Melbourne has always been seen as Australia’s cultural capital, claiming to have the country’s best food, music, coffee and sports teams.
Now, as local and loyal Perth removalists, we believe some of that might be for debate.
We will admit that Victoria has an attractive offering of awe-inspiring nature, dramatic coastlines, and a cooler climate that’s perfect for exploring.
So we encourage you to experience a different side to life by moving to Victoria.
We’ll even keep your belongings in storage until you find a place to settle.
What to expect when moving to Victoria
Where to live
Victoria is Australia’s most densely populated state, with a population of 6.7 million.
While two-thirds live in and around Melbourne, there are plenty of great places in Victoria besides the capital.
- Geelong: Victoria’s answer to Bunbury, the state’s second city lies 75 kilometres
- southwest of Melbourne at the gateway to the Great Ocean Road.
- Bendigo: 150 kilometres northwest of Melbourne is Bendigo, a historic town that was once the epicentre of a gold rush in the 1880s.
- Ballarat: Famous for food and music festivals, Bendigo is Victoria’s third-largest city.
- Lorne and Apollo Bay: Two of the Great Ocean Road’s best towns, Lorne and Apollo Bay share a reputation for coastal culture and renowned landmarks like the Twelve Apostles
If you haven’t decided where to live when you move to Victoria, KEYS The Moving Solution can keep your excess furniture in storage until you find a new home.
We can also move your car across the country if you don’t want to drive the Nullarbor.
Victoria is one of Australia’s most economically progressive states.
Where mining and resources drive Western Australia’s GDP, Victoria’s $400 billion economy is divided up a little differently:
- Creative industries contribute $23 billion
- Digital technologies account for $34 billion
- 10 universities and 12 TAFEs make Victoria a hub for international education
- Tourism and events generate 210,000 jobs and $21.7 billion
As well as these significant sectors, areas like food production, medical technologies, emerging energy, professional services and transport provide no shortage of career opportunities.
Preparing to move to Victoria
12 months out
- Start thinking about areas to live
- Research schools for your children
- Make a budget for moving to Victoria
- Get essential documents in order
- Source quotes from interstate removalists
- Start communicating with family and friends about the move
6 months out
- Book an interstate removalist and organise transit insurance
- Decide what to do with your current home
- Look into requirements for moving pets interstate
- Narrow down where you want to live
- Contact schools or childcare providers
2-3 months out
- Get organised with a packing schedule and supplies
- Begin selling, shipping, storing or donating belongings
- Find temporary accommodation or apply for rentals
- Make copies of important documents
It’s not easy to pack up your life for an interstate move.
But if you start early and plan carefully, you can take the stress out of relocating across the country.
Finding an interstate removalist in Perth
Our team has over 25 years of experience moving across the country, plus a global moving network to support Australians moving abroad.
But we’re still local, and we’re always here to help.